Geek Girl - Holly Smale

13 August 2014



Pages: 378 pages
Edition: Hardcover
Language: Dutch
Publisher: HarperCollins
Source: Library
Series: Geek Girl #1
Started: 29th of July, 2014
Finished: 30th of July, 2014

ADD TO GOODREADS BUY AT TBD
Harriet Manners knows a lot of things.

She knows that a cat has 32 muscles in each ear, a "jiffy" lasts 1/100th of a second, and the average person laughs 15 times per day. What she isn't quite so sure about is why nobody at school seems to like her very much. So when she's spotted by a top model agent, Harriet grabs the chance to reinvent herself. Even if it means stealing her Best Friend's dream, incurring the wrath of her arch enemy Alexa, and repeatedly humiliating herself in front of the impossibly handsome supermodel Nick. Even if it means lying to the people she loves.

As Harriet veers from one couture disaster to the next with the help of her overly enthusiastic father and her uber-geeky stalker, Toby, she begins to realise that the world of fashion doesn't seem to like her any more than the real world did.

And as her old life starts to fall apart, the question is: will Harriet be able to transform herself before she ruins everything?

MY THOUGHTS

This book was so cute. I started this yesterday and I finished it this morning. I have read the entire night, because it was so adorable. I also recommended it to my sister, because I was pretty sure she'd enjoy it as well. And since it's from the library and i can have it for another week or 2, she still has time to read it as well if she will enjoy it. But she starts books and never finishes them, which is also a problem that I am experiencing at the right moment. Luckily Geek Girl pulled me a little out of this slump.

I had heard so many good things about this contemporary novel and when I saw it was in the library, in Dutch unfortunately, I had to take it home with me. I have been wanting to read this one for ages now and I immediately reserved the second part, because it seems amazing to continue the series. Too bad the third book has not yet been translated and in the library, because I would reserve that one as well.

Harriet is an adorable character. She is geeky, lonely and only has one friend. She thinks people hate her for all the goofy things that she does. Her best friend has always wanted to be a model and instead that her friend is scouted, Harriet gets scouted for a top model agent. She is really apprehensive about it and all, but thankfully she takes the chance, because so many adventures and all are gonna happen that make this book into such a delightful book to read.

Holly Smale's writing is awesome. It's simple and it's fun to read. You get pulled into the book and you can't stop. At least, I wasn't able to stop once I had started reading. I read it all in one day. I am looking forward to reading more of her works, because if every book she writes is like this, I'm sure I'll have a lot of fun reading the rest.

I highly recommend this book to people that like reading light and fluffy reads. Something with a hint of romance, but not too much. And something quirky and funny. If you're looking for that, this book is definitely for you!

1 comment:

  1. I hand't heard about this one before. Sounds awesome! I shall look out for it most definitely.

    ReplyDelete